I refinished a teak wood deck chair years ago and once again it was needing some real work. The bottom of the legs had started rotting from sitting on a wet patio while the rest of the chair was in good shape. This was a special chair because they got it about the same time they got Schatzie~ their sweet wonderful little pound dog in 1989.. She loved to sit out in her chair.
Here are Marcus and Stacy Mae with their new pound puppy, Schatzie Kay. She loved her chair, we all loved her~
Teak wood comes from Indonesia, it is great for using on boats and for making outdoor furniture. When new it has a beautiful golden brown finish and after about 6 months, it starts to turn a sliver grey color. Some people don’t mind it being grey but to keep it looking new you can do one of two things. Either use a teak oil and rub it on once a year or use a polyerethane varnish, which will have to be removed and and refinished after about 8 or 10 years.
This is the fun part, you start seeing some real results. I am using Crown Handi-Strip from Lowe’s and think it is the best I have ever tried.
Since I had used the varnish the other two times, I am doing it again this way. It is a big project since there are so many parts (46 pieces of wood) and every single piece has to be striped, scraped and sanded.
Ready to begin taking apart, I made sketches to help remember how it goes back together~
I worked on this chair for over a week to get to where I could see that it was going to turn out. The good thing is when you get tired, you go get a Dr. Pepper and rest a few minutes, then it calls you back. It is a wonderful thing for someone who has a compulsive disorder, or maybe it is a blessing for someone who just loves to work.
All the parts that have to come off need a strong screw driver and lots of arm power. I have been spraying the screws and bolts with WD-40 and letting them soak for a while and so far, I have not had to drill any screws out. All the metal parts, screws and bolts are solid brass.
This was the most damaged of all the wood, it was the big leg on the right side, so rotten it was two inches shorter than the left leg. All of this had to be sanded so we could make an accurate pattern for the new legs. I will put little gliders on the bottom of the new legs to keep the wood up off the patio.
The leg rest had to be taken completely apart and morties & tenons cleaned inside and out.
You can see how nicely this leg rest cleaned up, all of the rungs had to be taken out and cleaned. When I put it back together, there will be a little dab of Elmers Wood Glue to hold them in place.
This one last leg is the only thing that hasn’t been removed. After it is off, all the damaged parts will go to Dan’s since he has a Shop Smith and the drill press. Oh yes and the router.
Four new legs and three cross pieces have to be cut now. Every screw hole and channel has to be exact. There are holes for the dowel pins, it takes real equipment to do this work or it won’t go back together. Fingers crossed and it is his chair and he will be responsible.
My part is done up to this point. After the legs come back, I can start staining and varnishing. It is looking pretty nice right now. I have been protecting the head rest with Schatzie’s name on it.
I am being careful to keep the head rest original. I don’t want to try to paint in the name again. It has stayed in good condition for 28. years.
Cleaned, striped and sanded, top to bottom and underneath, just waiting for the new legs~The head rest is covered in heavy plastic until the the staining and varnishing starts.
The last part of this blog will be posted when the job is completed.