Deck Chair Finished

I was able to save the name I painted on it when it was new.

I was able to save the name I painted on it when it was new.

One month ago I showed a project I was working on and have completed the job. It seems like it was a lot longer than a month but that was 30 blogs ago so that is a long time. This chair was one that Dan & Debbie called the Schatzie Kay chair because their little dog claimed it for her own. The legs finally rotted from sitting outside for  25 years and it either had to be restored or thrown away. old leg

Bad legs, ready to be sent to Dan's Shop Smith

Bad legs, ready to be sent to Dan’s Shop Smith for copying duplicates in new wood

All striped and sanded, waiting for the new legs~

All striped and sanded, waiting for the new legs~

All finished and smooth as silk.  Deck chairs have solid brass screws and hinges so those have stayed like new.

Finished and smooth as silk. The  chair  has solid brass screws and fittings so those have stayed like new. To find if fittings are brass plated or solid brass, try a magnet test, if it sticks to the piece it is solid brass.

This was the second time I restored it. The bottoms of the legs get wet and the water wicks up into the wood, the rest of the wood is fine but wet legs rot. Dan copied the old legs perfectly, cutting and matching everything down to the last screw hole. Now it is like a new chair. This time I bought some epoxy after reading about it on the internet. It is like putty, two parts mixed together and put on the bottom of the legs. It dried in two days and should take care of the water problem. I also put gliders on the bottom to hold the leg up off the patio. This was a good project, I like working with wood and I like to save things.

 

Cast aluminum chairs were nice ones but the finish developed a problem.

Cast aluminum chairs were nice ones but the factory  finish developed a problem.

The patio chairs were good ones and comfortable. However the finish on them had started cracking and chipping off.. Debbie sanded them down to the bare cast aluminum, ready for primer and then deep hunter green paint. These pieces  all sat in my garage for a couple of weeks after I finished them and I was growing attached. They came and got them today and sent the pictures. I am going to be looking for another project that is fun to do. This was one of those.